Sunday, November 30, 2014

Blessed Thanksgiving Weekend

I'm not one to throw around the word 'blessed'.  I'm a spiritual Jew, deeply connected to God, but very privately. I know I have a lot of good things going and most of us do, but I just don't dig the constant FB-reaffirming of our great lives. But that is just me. But...this weekend, well, it was truly amazing. Three years ago I reluctantly moved my family back to northeast Ohio, the place I grew up and the place I hurriedly left at twenty years old. I came back not knowing what to expect. It's been hard. I've had a lot of downs since returning to the Buckeye state but this weekend erases all of the frustrations and the hard times. The family I have connected with as an adult - simply put, they freakin' rock. Done. My cousins are my brothers and sisters; my extended family (I'm talking second and third cousins) are good friends. I love it and I love them.

Thanksgiving was laid back and filled with good food and laughter. Yesterday was our 2nd annual OSU beat Michigan party (I suppose one day I will have to change the title) and wow, what a group! I've been shying away from all of the race arguments the past week and for good reason. I'm still not going to comment, but I will say this: Look at these pictures below, especially the group photo, this is the US, this is how it should be: blacks, whites, bi-racial, multiracial, Christian and Jewish all together for good food and football. That is it folks; that is it!

I'm blessed. I have such wonderful people in my life and I hope each and every one of you  know that I appreciate our friendship. Whatever brought us together: sharing a great-grandparent or grandparent, living in Green, fitness, religion, kids' sports or the love Ohio State - just know our friendship is valuable to me. I battle depression and at times I can't help it, but this Sunday evening, I'm not completely and totally dreading my Monday morning and it is because of you. And I'm thankful for that.

Happy Thanksgiving friends and O-H...


 Thanksgiving day cousins
 The husband and me.


The cousins






No comments:

Post a Comment